I did comparison of total number of employees of all Indonesian tech startups listed in Crunchbase and employment numbers of other major business sector.
Several interesting points :
- In country level, startup employment is still miniscule which is not surprising. However in Jakarta level, it already surpassed banking, construction, education and enterprise support services sector
- Still in Jakarta level, Startup employment is already nearly half Real Estate sector, nearly third of Transportation and Warehousing and quarter of Manufacturing
- Jakarta hold 60 percent of total Indonesia startup employment. Compared to the ICT sector which Jakarta only contribute 2% of total country employment. I guess startup ecosystem is still very Jakarta centric ?
- Startup employment probably can be used as proxy for Digital Economy contribution. However its still need average wage data points in Startups to see how the contribution related to other business sector.
Also couple of notes regarding the data
- This is a pre-eliminary analysis, did it in my spare time so please do comment if i made mistakes or something doesnt felt right
- Number of employee data in Crunchbase is in estimated range. I used the maximum estimation.
- Out of around 900 Indonesian based startups listed in Crunch base, 270-ish doesnt have employee data. So the number could possibly bigger
- Techinasia listed around 3000 Indonesian startups however they didnt parse it by city and also i believe they didnt offer access to the raw data. However, just by looking at the number of startups disparity compared to Crunchbase, again the number of startup employment could possibly much bigger
Heres the tableau link to get better view of the graph : http://bit.ly/startupEmploymentIndo
PS: Kudos for Badan Pusat Statistik Indonesia for the quality and the granularity of the data.