So couple days ago i applied for a job opening at Traveloka. Im still working on my dissertation but reading the job description got me interested. Unfortunately i didn’t pass the analytic test. Got bad history with this kind of test. A little bit disappointed but on a bright side this probably a sign that i should gave 100% focus on finishing my thesis.
Since Ive been using their services for quite some time, i had several improvement ideas which i plan to develop inside the job application. I thought this might be useful if i get called for interview. However since it is not my luck this time rather waste the ideas, it might be better if elaborate it more here. Writing it can serve as means to stretch my “idea machine” while also a way to embrace my failure. Hopefully it will be useful in some ways for anybody who read this.
So here we go. Read More
I did comparison of total number of employees of all Indonesian tech startups listed in Crunchbase and employment numbers of other major business sector.
Vizualized using Tableau Public
Several interesting points :
- In country level, startup employment is still miniscule which is not surprising. However in Jakarta level, it already surpassed banking, construction, education and enterprise support services sector
- Still in Jakarta level, Startup employment is already nearly half Real Estate sector, nearly third of Transportation and Warehousing and quarter of Manufacturing
- Jakarta hold 60 percent of total Indonesia startup employment. Compared to the ICT sector which Jakarta only contribute 2% of total country employment. I guess startup ecosystem is still very Jakarta centric ?
- Startup employment probably can be used as proxy for Digital Economy contribution. However its still need average wage data points in Startups to see how the contribution related to other business sector.
Also couple of notes regarding the data
- This is a pre-eliminary analysis, did it in my spare time so please do comment if i made mistakes or something doesnt felt right
- Number of employee data in Crunchbase is in estimated range. I used the maximum estimation.
- Out of around 900 Indonesian based startups listed in Crunch base, 270-ish doesnt have employee data. So the number could possibly bigger
- Techinasia listed around 3000 Indonesian startups however they didnt parse it by city and also i believe they didnt offer access to the raw data. However, just by looking at the number of startups disparity compared to Crunchbase, again the number of startup employment could possibly much bigger
Heres the tableau link to get better view of the graph : http://bit.ly/startupEmploymentIndo
Data source : Crunchbase, BPS Sensus Ekonomi 2016, Self-analysis
PS: Kudos for Badan Pusat Statistik Indonesia for the quality and the granularity of the data.
Digital economy is currently huge economy contributor for United Kingdom. In 2015, this sector contributed 97 billion pounds and provide more job growth than any other sector in the country (Tech City, 2017). Majority of UK digital economy activities is concentrated in London, specifically in the area called Silicon Roundabout. The cluster is the home of more than 3000 digital media and internet companies, most of them are newly-established and small-sized.
This essay will discuss the development of Silicon Roundabout cluster and how public policy have impact on that process. Short overview on the cluster will be discussed first as the starting point. After that the evolution of cluster will be described followed by discussion on the cluster policy impact. In the later part of the essay, challenges facing the cluster will be explained and then closed by essay conclusion. Read More